This parasha describes the sacred Choshen Mishpat ("Breastplate of Judgment" or “Decision”. that was to be worn by the High Priest.
- Ruby - Reuben - Red
- Jade - Shimon - Green
- Agate - Levi - Red, White, and Black Striped
- Carbuncle - Judah - Bluish-Green
- Lapis-Lazuli - Issachar - Blue
- Quartz Crystal - Zebulun - Clear
- Turquoise - Dan - Blue
- Amethyst - Naftali - Purple
- Agate - Gad - Grey
- Aquamarine - Asher - Blue-Green
- Onyx - Joseph - Black
- Opal - Benjamin - A Stone Possessing All the Colours.
"And thou shalt set in it settings of stones, even four rows of stones: the first row shall be a sardius, a topaz, and a carbuncle: this shall be the first row. And the second row shall be an emerald, a sapphire, and a diamond. And the third row a ligure, an agate, and an amethyst. And the fourth row a beryl, and an onyx, and a jasper.” Exodus 28:17-20
“And you shall place the Urim V’tummim in the breastplate of judgment, and they shall be over Aaron’s heart when he comes before God” Exodus 28:30
“And of Levi he said: “Let Your Thummim and Your Urim be with Your holy one, Whom You tested at Massah” Deuteronomy 33:8.
These stones(?) were used in deciding outcomes of His will and yet we find later that the counterfeit was used to try and go against His will – Purim. (Urim / Purim).